Cherry Cobbler, Cast Iron
#889 Comment on this recipe.
You can substitute granulated sugar for the Demerara Sugar if you prefer.
- 4 T salted butter, melted, plus more for the pan
- 1 c sugar
- 1 c flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 1 c whole milk, at room temperature
- 2 c fresh Bing or other sweet cherries, pitted (about 12 oz)
- 1/4 c demerara sugar plus 2 t, divided
- whipped cream and/or ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 12 inch cast-iron skillet.
- Whisk 1 cup sugar, flour , baking powder, salt, and baking soda togehter in a medium bowl.
- Add the milk.
- Whisk in the melted butter.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and sprinkle the cherries evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup demerara sugar over the cherries.
- Bake until golden brown on top and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes, sprinkling the remaining 2 teaspoons demerara sugar over the top during the last 10 minutes.
- Let cool 20 minutes.
- Serve warm, topped with whipped cream or ice cream...or both!
Serves: 6 to 8
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Type of Food: Vegetarian
Key Ingredient: Cherries
Difficulty: 1 - Easy
Make Ahead: No
Prep Method: Oven Bake
Themes/Holidays: President's Day,Flag Day,Fourth of July,Picnic