Turkey Meatballs with Soy and Sesame
#875 Comment on this recipe.
- 1 1/2 c chicken broth
- 1/2 oz dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 slices hearty white sandwich bread, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
- 6 green onions, white parts minced, green parts sliced thin on bias
- 1 T sugar
- 2 1/2 t unflavored gelatin, divided
- 1 1/2 t white pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds 85 or 93 percent lean ground turkey
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 T water
- 3 T vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T soy sauce
- 2 t sesame oil
- prepared rice for serving
- Microwave broth and mushrooms in covered bowl until steaming, about 1 minute. Let sit until softened, about 5 minutes. Drain mushrooms in fine-mesh strainer and reserve liquid.
- Pulse bread in food processor until finely ground, 10 to 15 pulses; transfer bread crumbs to large bowl (do not wash processor bowl).
- Add Parmesan, green onion whites, half of green onion greens, sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons gelatin, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon white pepper to bowl with bread crumbs and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pulse mushrooms in food processor until chopped fine, 10 to 15 pulses.
- Add mushrooms, turkey, and egg to bowl with bread crumb mixture and mix with your hands until thoroughly combined.
- Divide mixture into 16 portions (about 1/4 cup each).
- Using your hands, roll each portion into ball; transfer meatballs to plate and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 teaspoon gelatin over water in bowl and let stand until gelatin softens, about 5 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add meatballs and cook until well browned all over, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer meatballs to paper towel–lined plate, leaving fat in skillet.
- Add garlic to skillet and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Increase heat to high, stir in soy sauce, sesame oil, reserved mushroom liquid, gelatin mixture, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon white pepper and bring to simmer.
- Return meatballs to skillet, reduce heat to medium low, cover, and cook until meatballs register 160 degrees, 12 to 15 minutes, turning meatballs once.
- Transfer meatballs to platter.
- Season sauce with salt to taste, pour over meatballs, garnish with remaining green onion greens.
- Serve meatballs over rice.
Serves: 4 to 6
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Type of Food: Entree
Difficulty: 2 - Medium
Make Ahead: No
Prep Method: Stovetop,Microwave