Gullah Red Rice
#843 Comment on this recipe.
- 2 c uncooked parboiled rice
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 8 oz smoked pork sausage, finely diced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 (6 oz) cans tomato paste
- 4 t sugar
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 T kosher salt
- 1 T pepper
- Rinse the rice until the water becomes slightly clear.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Add the sausage, onion and pepper and cook, stirring, until the vegetables soften and start to brown at the edges, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, sugar, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir rice into the tomato mixture and cook, uncovered, and stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a 9x13 baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- Add just enough water to cover the rice (about 2 cups).
- Tightly cover with a lid or foil and bake for 30 minutes without uncovering the baking dish.
- Turn off the oven, remove the rice, fluff the rice, then cover and return to oven for 10 minutes more.
Serves: 8 - 10
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Course: Side Dish
Type of Food: Rice Dish,
Ethnicity/Origin: Charleston,Savannah,Southern,Low Country,Gullah,Cajun/New Orleans
Difficulty: 1 - Easy
Make Ahead: No
Prep Method: Stovetop,Oven Bake
Themes/Holidays: Mardi Gras,Juneteenth