Crispy Gnocchi With Burst Tomatoes and Mozzarella
#834 Comment on this recipe.
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 2 (12 to 18 oz) packages shelf-stable or refrigerated potato gnocchi or whole wheat gnocchi
- 1/4 c butter
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 t red-pepper flakes, plus more for serving
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 pints small tomatoes, such as cherry, grape or Sungold
- 3 T water
- 1/4 c thinly sliced or torn basil leaves (optional), plus more for serving
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, cut or torn into 1/2-inch pieces, can substitute a mixture of Parmesan cheese and fontina cheese
- Heat the broiler with a rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
- In a large (12-inch) skillet on the stovetop, heat enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan (about 1 tablespoon) over medium-high.
- Add half the gnocchi to the pan, breaking up any that are stuck together. Cover with a lid and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown on both sides, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Repeat with the remaining gnocchi and olive oil.
- Add the butter to the skillet and cook, stirring often, until golden-brown and toasty, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and a few grinds of pepper, reducing the heat slightly if necessary to avoid scorching.
- Add the tomatoes and 3 tablespoons water and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the tomatoes have softened and the liquid has slightly thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Smash the tomatoes as they burst to help them along.
- Add the seared gnocchi and 1/4 cup basil (if using), stir to coat, then shake into an even layer. # TStir in the mozzarella and drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and browned in spots, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Top with more basil, red pepper flakes and pepper as desired.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Course: Entree,Side Dish
Type of Food: Skillet Dish,Vegetarian,
Key Ingredient: Gnocchi,Tomatoes
Difficulty: 2 - Medium
Make Ahead: No
Prep Method: Stovetop,Broiler