Root Beer Floats (with gelatin)
#818 Comment on this recipe.
- 2 (12 oz) bottles or cans cold root beer
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 c sugar plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 c heavy cream
- Soften gelatin: Place 1/2 cup root beer in small bowl and sprinkle gelatin over root beer. Let stand 5 minutes to soften gelatin.
- Heat liquid: Bring 1 cup root beer and 1/4 cup sugar to boil in small saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Remove from heat and whisk in gelatin mixture until all lumps dissolve. Pour into bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Gently stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups root beer, taking care not to deflate bubbles. Refrigerate until firm, at least 6 hours or up to 1 day.
- Beat cream: Using electric mixer, beat cream and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in medium bowl until cream holds soft peaks.
- Layer float: Spoon one-eighth of root beer mixture into each of 4 mugs or sundae dishes. Top with one-eighth of whipped cream. Repeat with remaining root beer mixture and whipped cream. Top with cap of bubbly root beer gelatin and serve.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Type of Food: Vegetarian
Difficulty: 1 - Easy
Make Ahead: Yes
Prep Method: Stovetop