Hot Sausage Stuffed Banana Peppers
#814 Comment on this recipe.
- 6 - 8 Banana or Hot Peppers
- 1 1/2 lbs hot sausage
- 1 lb mild sausage
- 1/2 c diced onion
- 1/4 c green peppers, chopped small
- 1 t dried basil
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- 2 1/2 c shredded mozzarella
- 1 egg
- 1/2 - 3/4 c Panko bread crumbs
- 3 - 3 1/2 c marinara Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Wearing plastic gloves, take a knife and chop off the top of the peppers and run the knife on the top about 1/4 in from the tip to the top of the pepper. Do not split them in half; the pepper should be whole with a slit so it can be stuffed. Remove the rib and seeds; discard.
- In a separate bowl, add the hot sausage, mild sausage, onion, green pepper, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, 3/4 c mozzarella cheese, egg, bread crumbs (start with a 1/2 cup) and 1/2 cup marinara sauce.
- Gently mix to incorporate. If the mixture it too wet add the rest of the bread crumbs. You want the mixture more on the moist side. It should be semi-loose in structure.
- Gently open up the pepper and stuff with the meat mixture slightly mounding.
- Place each filled pepper in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Add the marinara sauce over top of the peppers – use at least 1 1/2 cups. Add more if desired.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45-60 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the sausage reads 160-165F.
- Remove foil and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Serves: 3 to 4
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Difficulty: 2 - Medium
Make Ahead: Yes
Prep Method: Oven Bake