Creamy Southwest Black Eyed Pea Dip
#766 Comment on this recipe.
Consider using soy chorizo for a vegetarian option!
- 1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
- 2 (15oz) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed, drained, and divided
- 1 1/2 T fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 t hot sauce
- 1/2 t kosher salt, divided
- 1 c diced ham
- 1/4 c finely chopped scallions
- 1/4 c finely chopped roasted red bell pepper
- 1 (8 oz) block Monterey Jack cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 (4 oz) fresh tomatoes, chopped (about 1 c )
- 2 T finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T minced fresh jalapeño
- tortilla chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Process cream cheese, 1 c black-eyed peas, 1⁄2 tablespoon lime juice, hot sauce, and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt in a food processor until creamy and smooth (about 1 minute). Place mixture in a large bowl.
- Stir remaining black-eyed peas, diced ham, scallions, bell pepper, and 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese (1 cup) into cream cheese mixture.
- Spread mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining 4 ounces cheese.
- Bake, covered with aluminum foil, in preheated oven 20 minutes.
- Remove foil, and bake for 10 to 15 more minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir together tomatoes, cilantro, olive oil, jalapeño, remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, and remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
- Top dip with tomato mixture using a slotted spoon.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Serves: 4 to 6
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Type of Food: Dip,Vegetarian
Key Ingredient: Ham
Difficulty: 1 - Easy
Make Ahead: Yes
Prep Method: Oven Bake