Moroccan Beef Kebabs with Curried Couscous, Raita and Charmoula Vinaigrette
#758 Comment on this recipe.
- 2 1/2 c warm water
- 1 T curry powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 c fine couscous
- 3 T olive oil, divided
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 T minced fresh mint
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 small English cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1/4 c lemon juice
- 1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 c chopped fresh parsley
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1/2 t paprika
- 1/4 t cayenne
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Moroccan Beef Kebabs
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 c finely minced red onion
- 2 ozs nonfat powdered milk
- 2 T chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 T chopped fresh mint
- 1 T ground ginger
- 1 t cayenne
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t freshly ground pepper
- 8 wooden skewers
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Pita bread, warmed, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the water in an ovenproof casserole.
- Whisk the curry, salt, and pepper into the water.
- Whisk the couscous into the water. Let the couscous stand for 10 minutes to absorb the water.
- Pour 1 1/2 T of the olive oil into the couscous. Work the olive oil into the couscous by hand, rubbing the kernels to fluff the couscous break up any clumps, making sure that the couscous is evenly coated with the oil.
- Place the casserole into the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and pour the remaining 1 1/2 T of oil into the couscous.
- # By hand or with a spoon, work the oil through the couscous, breaking up any clumps.
- Place the yogurt, mint, cumin, salt and cucumbers in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate until time to use.
- Place the oil, lemon juice, cilantro, parsley, garlic, cumin, paprika and cayenne in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Season the charmoula with salt and pepper.
- Combine the beef, onions, powdered milk, cilantro, mint, ginger, cayenne, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Divide the mixture into 8 balls.
- Form each ball into a kebab cylinder about 3 inches long.
- Refrigerate the kebabs until ready to grill.
- In the meantime soak, wooden skewers in water.
- Heat the grill to high heat.
- Insert the skewers into the kebabs.
- Brush the kebabs with oliveoil and grill until they are cooked, 34 minutes per side.
- To complete the dish, place a mound of couscous on a serving plate for each person.
- Place 2 kebabs on each plate.
- Garnish the plate with the raita and drizzle the charmoula on the kebabs.
- Serve with warm pita bread.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Type of Food: Kebab
Key Ingredient: Beef
Difficulty: 2 - Medium
Make Ahead: No
Prep Method: Grill,Oven Bake