Spiced Chocolate Bundt Cake with Candy Corn Glaze
#751 Comment on this recipe.
- 1 c boiling water
- 1 c Dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 1⁄2 t cinnamon
- 1⁄2 t ground ginger
- pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 c butter, cut into cubes
- 2 c flour- 260 grams
- 2 c sugar- 400 grams
- 1 1⁄2 t baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 t fine salt
- 1 t baking powder
- 2/3 c vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 t white or cider vinegar
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 2/3 c buttermilk or yogurt
- 1/2 c mini chocolate chips
- 1 (11 oz) bag of good quality candy corn, roughly chopped, reserve a few candy corn for garnish
- 4 t water
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place an oven rack in the center of the oven.
- Grease a 10 inch fluted bundt pan with a non-stick baking spray and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the boiled water, cocoa powder, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Whisk until smooth
- Whisk in the cubed butter and set aside to cool.
- In the bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Blend on low for 30 seconds to combine.
- To the bowl with the dry ingredients add the vegetable oil, eggs, vinegar, vanilla, buttermilk and the warm cocoa/butter mixture.
- Blend on low for 30 seconds to combine and then stop and scrape the bowl. Mix the batter on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour about half of the batter into the pan and sprinkle about half of the mini chocolate chips over top.
- Pour the remaining batter over top and sprinkle with the remaining chips.
- Bake for 58-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bundt comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then carefully turn it out onto a cooling rack and cool completely before glazing.
- Place the cooled cake in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before glazing. This helps the glaze set.
- Place the chopped candy corn in a microwave safe bowl. Heat at 20 second intervals, stirring until melted and thick, this should take about 1 minute.
- Use a rubber spatula to spread the candy corn along the bottom of the bowl to smooth it out. # Add the water and stir to combine. Microwave another 10 seconds and stir.
- The glaze should run off the spatula in a thick stream. If it is still too thick add an additional few drops of water or microwave another 5 seconds and stir.
- Pour the glaze over the cake and allow to set completely.
- Stick a few additional candy corn to the glaze if desired.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Type of Food: Cake,Vegetarian
Difficulty: 2 - Medium
Make Ahead: Yes
Prep Method: Oven Bake