Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
#709 Comment on this recipe.
- 2 1/3 c flour, 292 g
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 c butter (2 sticks) softened
- 1 c sugar, 200 g
- 1 egg
- zest of 2 lemons
- 2 T lemon juice
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 2 t poppy seeds, plus extra for garnish
- 3-6 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, 3+ minutes.
- Scrape the bowl and beat in the egg, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, poppy seeds, and yellow food coloring.
- Turn the mixer on low and slowly add in the flour mixture. Scrape the bowl, then mix until well combined.
- Scoop the cookie dough onto the baking sheets in 1 inch ball portions, two inches apart.
- Sprinkle the tops with extra poppy seeds.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are just barely golden.
- Then cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before moving.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Type of Food: Vegetarian,Cookie
Key Ingredient: Lemon,Poppy Seed
Difficulty: 2 - Medium
Make Ahead: Yes
Prep Method: Oven Bake
Themes/Holidays: Christmas,Easter,Tea Party