Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Instant Pot
#697 Comment on this recipe.
If you want a thicker soup you can mix 2 Tbsp of cornstarch with 2 Tbsp of cold water in a small bowl and then stir the cornstarch slurry into the pot.
- 1 T butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 or 3 celery ribs, diced
- 2 or 3 carrots, match-stick style or grated or diced
- 4 c coarsely chopped fresh broccoli florets
- 3 c chicken broth
- 1/4 c butter
- 1/4 c flour
- 1/2 t cayenne pepper
- 2 c milk
- 1 (8 oz) block of sharp cheddar, grated
- 1/2 t salt
- pepper to taste
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute function and melt butter.
- Add in the onion. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add in the celery, carrots, broccoli and chicken broth.
- Cover the Instant Pot and lock the lid in place.Set the manual button (or pressure cook button) to 1 minute.
- While the pot heats up and reaches pressure melt the 1/4 cup of butter in a pan on the stove.
- Slowly whisk in the flour until a creamy mixture is formed. Set aside.
- If desired (to speed up the process) you can also heat up the milk at this time.
- When the timer beeps indicating the time is up on your Instant Pot let the pot sit there for 5 minutes and then move the valve to “venting.” Remove the lid when you can.
- Turn the Instant Pot back to the saute function.
- Whisk one cup of the broth from the soup into the flour mixture.
- Then add that mixture into the pot.
- Stir until the soup thickens.
- Stir in the cayenne pepper and the milk, until it heats through.
- Stir in the cheese, until it melts.
- Stir in the salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Serves: 6 1/2 c soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: Pressure Time: 10 minutes,Cook Time: 6 minutes,Finish Time: 3 minutes
Type of Food: Soup,Vegetarian
Key Ingredient: Broccoli
Difficulty: 1 - Easy
Make Ahead: Yes
Prep Method: Instant Pot