Primanti Bros. Sandwich
#67 Comment on this recipe.
- 1 lb bag of cole slaw mix
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 to 2 t kosher salt
- 1/4 t celery seed
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
- frozen French fries
Meat and Cheese
- 3 T unsalted butter
- 2 lbs thinly sliced deli meat, such as roast beef or corned beef
- 8 thin slices provolone cheese (about 5 oz)
- 4 ripe tomatoes, cut into 16 thin slices
- 16 large slices of soft Italian bread (18 oz total)
- Preheat oven to desired temperature.
- Bake the French fries according to instructions.(Can deep fry if preferred, this is more authentic!)
- Combine the cole slaw mix, sugar, salt and celery seed in a colander set over a medium bowl. Let stand at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours; the cabbage will be wilted (about 4 cups total).
- Discard the draining liquid in the bowl; rinse and dry the bowl, then transfer the wilted cabbage to the bowl. Add the oil and vinegar, toss to coat. Season with pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Meat and Cheese
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Have ready a large baking sheet.
- Separate the meat slices and add to the skillet, turning them as needed until the slices are warmed through. Transfer the slices to the baking sheet, creating 8 equal portions. Top each with a slice of provolone cheese. Place in oven just until the cheese has melted.
- Place the portions of cheese-topped meat on 8 bread slices. Top with a large handful of the warm fries, then pile about 1/2 c of the slaw on each portion. Garnish with 2 tomato slices for each portion; use the remainng 8 pieces of bread to finish each sandwich.
- Serve warm.
Type of Food: Sandwich/Wrap/Panini
Key Ingredient: Beef,Bread,Potatoes,Tomatoes,Cheese,Corned Beef
Difficulty: 2 - Medium
Make Ahead: No
Prep Method: Stovetop,Oven Bake