Fresh Peach Cremolata
#664 Comment on this recipe.
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 lb fresh ripe peaches
- 1 T Grand Marnier liqueur, optional
- seeds scraped from 1/2 vanilla bean
- Place the sugar and 1 1/2 cups water in a small saucepan and simmer until the sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the peaches and cook for between 15 seconds and 3 minutes, just until the skins peel off easily. (Ripe peaches will be ready sooner.)
- Transfer the peaches to a bowl of cool water, peel and cut in wedges into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade, discarding the pits.
- Puree the peaches completely and pour into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Whisk the sugar syrup, Grand Marnier, if using, and vanilla seeds into the peach puree.
- Place the dish uncovered on a level shelf in the freezer for 30 minutes to 1 hour, until it begins to crystallize around the edges.
- Scrape the entire mixture, including the edges, with the tines of a fork and freeze for another 30 minutes. #Continue freezing and scraping every 30 minutes, until the mixture is soft-frozen.
- It should take 2 to 3 hours to freeze and will be good to serve for up to 4 hours afterward
- If the mixture gets too frozen, allow it to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, and scrape it again with a dinner fork.
- Serve frozen in glasses.
Serves: 6 to 8
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Course: Appetizer,Palate Cleanser,Dessert,Breakfast/Brunch
Type of Food: Frozen Drink/Granita,Vegetarian
Key Ingredient: Peaches
Difficulty: 1 - Easy
Make Ahead: Yes
Prep Method: Freezer