Cheesy Grits Bake
#626 Comment on this recipe.
- 2 T butter
- 1/4 c finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 t minced garlic
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 t salt
- 1 1/2 c uncooked yellow stone-ground grits
- 2 (8 oz) pkg cubed boneless ham, drained and patted dry with paper towels or 1 lb breakfast sausaged cooked
- 1 (8 oz) pkg shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 oz) pkg shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 c whole milk
- 1 c fresh corn kernels (from about 2 ears), optional
- 1 1/2 t chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 t pepper
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Lightly grease a 3-quart baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium; stir in onion and garlic, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
- Stir in water and salt, increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil.
- Whisk in grits, and stir in ham; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened and grits are almost tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add both cheeses, stirring until completely melted.
- Stir in milk, corn (if using), thyme, pepper, and eggs.
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden and cooked through, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Type of Food: Casserole,Egg Dish
Key Ingredient: Ham,Grits,Eggs
Difficulty: 2 - Medium
Make Ahead: Yes
Prep Method: Stovetop,Oven Bake