Korean Bulgogi Rice Bowl (Dolsot Bibimbap)
#605 Comment on this recipe.
You can prepare the pickled vegetables, chile sauce and vegetables a day ahead and warm to room temperature before serving.
If you do not have dolsot bowls, you can make a larger version in a cast iron skillet.
- 1 c cider vinegar
- 2 T sugar
- 1 1/2 t salt
- 1 cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise, seeded and sliced thin on a bias, or 1 small pickeling cucumber
- 4 oz bean sprouts (2 c)
- 1/4 c gochujang
- 3 T water
- 2 T toasted sesame oil
- 1 t sugar
- 2 1/2 c short-grain white rice
- 2 1/2 c water
- 3/4 t salt
- 1/2 c water
- 3 green onions, minced
- 3 T soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T sugar
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 3 carrots, peeled and shredded (2 c)
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms, caps sliced thin
- 1 (10 oz) bag spinach stemmed and chopped coarse
- 1 1/4 lb boneless rib-eye steak cut crosswise into 1 1/2 in wide pieces and trimmed
- 1 T water
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 1/4 c onion, chopped
- 1/4 c sugar
- 3 T soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 T toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 t pepper
- 2 t vegetable oil
- 1 T toasted sesame oil
- 4 egg yolks
- Whisk vinegar, sugar, and salt together in medium bowl.
- Add cucumber and bean sprouts and toss to combine.
- Gently press on vegetables to submerge.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Whisk gochujang, water, sesame oil, and sugar together in small bowl.
- Cover and set aside.
- Bring rice, water, and salt to boil in medium saucepan over high heat.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 7 minutes.
- Remove rice from heat and let sit, covered, until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Alternately, prepare rice in rice cooker.
- Stir together water, green onions, soy sauce, garlic, and sugar.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in Dutch oven over high heat until shimmering.
- Add carrots and stir until coated.
- Add 1/3 cup green onions mixture and cook, stirring frequently, until carrots are slightly softened and moisture has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer carrots to small bowl.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in now-empty pot until shimmering.
- Add mushrooms and stir until coated with oil. Add 1/3 cup green onions mixture and cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender and moisture has evaporated, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to second small bowl.
- Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in now-empty pot until shimmering.
- Add spinach and remaining 1/3 cup green onions mixture and stir to coat spinach. Cook, stirring frequently, until spinach is completely wilted but still bright green, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer spinach to third small bowl.
- Discard any remaining liquid and wipe out pot with paper towel.
- Place beef on large plate and freeze until very firm, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Once firm, stand each piece on 1 cut side on cutting board and, using sharp knife, shave beef against grain as thin as possible. (Slices need not be perfectly intact.)
- Combine water and baking soda in medium bowl.
- Add beef and toss to coat.
- Let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, process onion, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, and pepper in food processor until smooth, about 30 seconds, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Add onion mixture to beef and toss to evenly coat.
- Heat vegetable oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add beef mixture in even layer and cook, without stirring, until browned on 1 side, about 1 minute.
- Stir and continue to cook until beef is no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Brush dolsot bowls with sesame oil
- Place bowls on stove top and heat.
- Place 1/4 of the rice into each bowl.
- Heat until the entire bowl is very hot.
- Carefully remove the bowls from the stovetop.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer carrots, spinach and mushrooms to each bowl and arrange in piles that cover surface of the rice.
- Place beef on top of the mixture.
- Place an egg yolk in the center of each bowl.
- Garnish top with pickled vegetables.
- Serve immediately, and stir in the egg yolk before eating.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Type of Food: Rice Dish
Key Ingredient: Rice,Beef
Difficulty: 3 - Difficult
Make Ahead: No
Prep Method: Stovetop