#455 Comment on this recipe.
This recipe can be customized by adding up to a total of 1 1/2 cups of raisins and/or coconut flakes.
If desired, you can cook the cake in 4 pans and frost in between the layers. If so, double the frosting recipe.
- 1 1/2 c vegetable oil (10.5 oz)
- 2 c sugar (14 oz)
- 1 t salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 T cinnamon
- 1/2 t ginger
- 1/4 t ground cloves
- 2 c flour (8.5 oz)
- 2 t baking soda
- 3 c finely grated carrots (11.5 oz)
- 1 1/2 c chopped pecans or walnuts (5.75 oz)
- 5 T unsalted butter, softened but still cool
- 1 (8oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 T sour cream
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 c powdered sugar (4.5 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease two 9 inch round layer pans, or one 9x13 inch pan.
- Beat together the oil, sugar, salt, eggs, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
- Mix the flour with the baking soda, and stir in.
- Add the carrots and nuts, and mix until just blended.
- Pour into the prepared pan(s).
- Bake the cake(s) for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
- Allow the cake(s) to cook completely before frosting. If using round layer pans, remove the layers from the pans after about 15 minutes, and place them on a rack to cool.
- When the cake is cool, beat the cream cheese, butter, sour cream, and vanilla until combined.
- Scrape down bowl, with spatula as needed.
- Mix in the powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Frost cake and store in refrigerator until serving.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Type of Food: Cake/Cupcake,Vegetarian
Key Ingredient: Carrots,
Difficulty: 2 - Medium
Make Ahead: Yes
Prep Method: Electric Mixer,Food Processor,Oven Bake