Chorizo & Vegetable Chili in Cheesy Grits Bowls
#45 Comment on this recipe.
I usually double this recipe and use half diced tomatoes and half fire roasted tomatoes.
As of the time of writing this, I am able to purchase frozen fire-roasted corn at Whole Foods.
- 2 T canola oil
- 1 lb fresh Mexican chicken chorizo, casing removed and crumbled
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 zucchini, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 small to medium jalapeno chili peppers, ribs and seeds removed, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T chili powder, regular, Hatch or ancho
- 1 T ground cumin
- 1 T ground coriander
- 2 c chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes or crushed fire-roasted tomatoes with juice
- 2 ears corn, grilled and kernels scraped from the cob, or 2 c frozen, fire-roasted kernels, thawed
- 1 (14 oz) can black or red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 c quick cooking grits
- 2 c chicken broth
- 1 c water
- 8 oz shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (2 c)
- chopped green onions, for garnish
- avocado, for garnish, optional
- In a soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat
- Add the chorizo and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, red pepper, zucchini, jalapenos and garlic; season with salt and pepper.
- Partially cover and cook until the vegeatables soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, and coriander and stir 1 minute.
- Add 2 c chicken broth, the tomatoes, corn, and beans. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered until the chili thickens, 10 minutes.
- In large saucepan, combine chicken broth, and water. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in grits, reduce heat to medium low, and cover.
- Cook 5 to 7 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cheese.
- Serve chili over top of grits.
- Sprinkle on green onions for color.
Type of Food: Chili
Key Ingredient: Chorizo,Grits,Bell Peppers,Zucchini,Jalapeno Peppers,Tomatoes,Corn,Beans,Cheese
Difficulty: 2 - Medium
Make Ahead: Yes,Partial
Prep Method: Stovetop