#442 Comment on this recipe.
Raclette is a popular style of cooking in Europe, especially Switzerland and France.
At the time of entering this recipe, both Raclette cheeses could be purchased at Penn Mac in the Strip District, if you can not find these cheeses, you can subsititue any of the following cheeses: Appenzeller, Comte, Dando, Edam cheese, Emmentaler, Gouda, Gruyere, Havariti, Original Riches Monts, Samso or Tilsiter.
The food is prepared in advance, in bite-sized portions and it is cooked on the table-top Raclette Grill.
It is a very social style of cooking, where all diners participate in the cooking, and the process can last several hours.
Be sure to have various types of cheeses, meats and vegetables cooking at all times, to be shared by your diners.
- Swiss Raclette cheese, about 4 oz per person (for cheese trays)
- Livradois Raclette cheese, about 4 oz per person (for cheese trays)
- Halloumi cheese (for table-top grilling)
Raclette Meats (charcuterie) (choose any variety)
- Bayou Shrimp, about 6 per person
- Sausage Links, such as Chicken Sausage with Spinach and Feta, (or any variety you like). Cooked and sliced into thin discs
- Ham, cut into small pieces
- Chicken, cut into small pieces
- Steak, cut into small pieces
Raclette Vegetables (choose any variety)
- baby potatoes, assorted varieties, boiled
- asparagus spears
- zucchini, sliced into thin discs
- miniature bell peppers, sliced in half and seeded
- mushrooms, sliced thin
- onions, sliced thin
- baby carrots
- cherry tomatoes
Accompaniments (choose any variety)
- olive oil
- sea salt
- crusty baguette, sliced thin
- Vegetable Dip
- gerkins pickles, sweet and/or dill
- olives, kalamata and/or Asiago stuffed green
- sun-dried tomatoes, packed in olive oil
- apple slices
- pear slices
- pickled cocktail onions
- Preheat the Raclette Grill, sprinkle coarse salt on the cook surface. Adjust temperature as needed to ensure food cooks, but does not burn.
- Cut thin slices of the Raclette cheeses and place in the trays.
- Place the trays under the heating element to melt. Be careful to remove cheese trays once the cheese is melted, but before it starts to burn.
- Cut bite-sized flat pieces of the Halloumi cheese and place on the cooktop until it becomes lightly browned.
- Place raw marinated shrimp on skewers onto the cook surface. Cook for about 2 minutes, turn and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Be careful to make sure the raw shrimp does not come in contact with any of the foods or plates you will be eating from.
- Place sausages, salami and ham on the cook surface, until heated through.
- Place boiled potatoes on the cook surface, to warm them up.
- Place raw vegatables on salted cook surface, drizzle with olive oil, cook for a minute or two, until tender and slightly browned around edges.
- Spread the melted Raclette cheeses on the meats, and vegetables just before eating.
- Serve desired accompaniments on the side.
Serves: varied, up to 8
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Type of Food: Raclette,Seafood
Key Ingredient: Cheese,Shrimp,Sausage,Vegetables
Difficulty: 2 - Medium
Make Ahead: Yes
Prep Method: Raclette Grill