#430 Comment on this recipe.
Source: My Mother - Bub
This is my Mother's recipe for sauerkraut, she made it without a written recipe. My sister, Nancy, figured out the correct proportions.
You can use any brands of sauerkraut and bacon you prefer. Nancy uses Frank's Sauerkraut and Smithfield Smokehouse Reserve bacon.
- 2 (2lb) jars sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 lb thick cut Applewood-smoked bacon
- 1 1/2 large onions, diced
- 4 oz butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 c flour
- 4 c water
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- Cut bacon into small pieces, and fry bacon in a dutch oven until lightly browned. Remove bacon and grease from pot and set aside. You will be using the bacon and about 1/3 of the grease.
- In the same pot, saute onions in butter, until softened.
- Add flour to onion, cook until flour is browned.
- Mix sauerkraut, reserved bacon, about 1/3 of the reserved bacon grease, onion/flour mixture and water together; season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, until sauerkraut is heated through.
- Serve warm.
This recipe freezes well.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Course: Side Dish,Condiment/Sauce
Type of Food: Condiment/Sauce
Key Ingredient: Sauerkraut,Bacon,Onions
Difficulty: 2 - Medium
Make Ahead: Yes
Prep Method: Stovetop
Themes/Holidays: New Year's Day,Tailgate