Jamaican Banana Bread
#425 Comment on this recipe.
- 2 T butter, softened
- 2 T cream cheese, softened
- 1 c sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 c flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/8 t salt
- 1 c mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 c milk
- 2 T dark rum, or 1/4 t rum extract
- 1/2 t lime zest
- 2 t lime juice
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 c pecans, chopped and toasted
- 1/4 c flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 2 t butter
- 2 t lime juice
- 2 t dark rum, or 1/8 t rum extract
- 2 T pecans, chopped and toasted
- 2 T flaked sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease one 8x4 inch loaf pan.
- Beat together softened butter and cream cheese in a large bowl until fluffy.
- Slowly beat in sugar until well incorporated.
- Add the egg and mix well.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl.
- In a different bowl, mix together the bananas, milk, rum, lime zest, lime juice, and vanilla; stir well.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix after each addition.
- Fold in pecans and coconut flakes.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan, and bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- When finished, cool for 10 minutes in the pan, remove, and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- After you take the banana bread out of the oven, prepare the topping.
- Stir together the brown sugar, butter, lime juice, and rum in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a simmer stirring constantly; cook until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is smooth, about one minute.
- Remove from heat, and stir in pecans, and coconut.
- Poke holes in the top of the loaf and spoon the topping over the loaf while it is still warm.
- Press the topping onto the surface of the bread.
- The topping will harden slightly when the loaf cools.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Type of Food: Bread,Cake,Vegetarian
Key Ingredient: Bananas,Cream Cheese,Eggs,Rum,Limes,Nuts,Coconut
Difficulty: 2 - Medium
Make Ahead: Yes
Prep Method: Oven Bake