#277 Comment on this recipe.
- 3 (16 oz) loaves frozen white bread dough, thawed
- 6 T brown mustard
- 1 lb cooked ham, thinly sliced
- 12 oz salami, thinly sliced
- 6 oz provolone cheese, shredded (1 1/2 c)
- 6 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded (1 1/2 c)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 T water
- green, red and yellow liquid food coloring
- 3 T Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 small pimento-stuffed green olives
- 1 (6x1 in) strip bottled roasted red pepper
- Line 3 baking sheets with greased foil; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll a loaf of dough into a 26x6 inch rectangle.
- Lightly brush 2 T mustard to within 1 inch of the edges of dough.
- Layer 1/3 of the ham and 1/3 of the salami over the mustard.
- Combine provolone and mozzarella cheeses; sprinkle 1/3 of the cheeses over the meats.
- Brush edges of dough with water.
- Starting from a long side, roll up tightly into a spiral; seal seam.
- Shape dough on a prepared baking sheet into an "S" shape, seam side down.
- For green egg wash, combine 1 of the egg yolks, 1 t of the water, and several drops of green food coloring.
- Repeat to make red and yellow egg washes.
- Using a small brush, paint stripes of colored egg wash across loaf.
Rising of Dough
- Cover snake section and let rise in a warm place about 20 minutes or until nearly double.
- Sprinkle top with 1 T of the grated parmesan cheese.
- While one snake section rises, repeat to make 2 more snake sections.
- Taper one end of two of the loaves to a rounded point to form a head and tail.
- Insert cloves at one of these ends for nostrils.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until bottoms of loaves are golden brown.
- Remove from baking sheets; cool slightly on wire racks.
- Use toothpicks to insert olives above cloves for eyes.
- Place roasted pepper strip in front of head for forked tongue.
- Assemble snake portions.
- Slice and serve warm.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Type of Food: Sandwich/Wrap/Panini
Key Ingredient: Bread,Ham,Salami,Eggs,Cheese
Difficulty: 3 - Difficult
Make Ahead: Yes
Prep Method: Oven Bake