#224 Comment on this recipe.
These potatoes go well with Kentucky Gravy!
- 2 lbs Red Bliss Potatoes (about 2 inches in diameter), unpeeled and scrubbed
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 T unsalted butter, melted and warm
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature (1/2 c)
- ground black pepper
- 3 T chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Place potatoes in large suacepan and cover with 1 inch cold water; add 1 t salt and bay leaf.
- Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce to medium-low heat and simmer gently until paring knife can be inserted into potatoes with no resistance, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Reserve 1/3 c cooking water, then drain potatoes.
- Return potatoes to pot, discard bay leaf and allow potatoes to stand in pot, uncovered, until surfaces are dry, about 5 minutes.
- While potatoes dry, whisk melted butter and softened cream cheese in medium bowl until smooth and fully incorporated.
- Add 1/4 c of reserved cooking water, 1/2 t pepper, chives (if using), and 1/2 t salt.
- Using a rubber spatula or back of wooden spoon, smash potatoes just enough to break skins.
- Fold in cream cheese mixture until most of liquid has been absorbed and chunks of potatoes remain.
- Add more cooking water 1 T at a time as needed, until potatoes are slightly looser than desired (potaotes will thicken slightly with standing).
- Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper; serve immediately.
Serves: 4 to 6
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 to 40 minutes
Course: Side Dish
Type of Food: Potato Dish,Vegetarian
Key Ingredient: Potatoes,Cream Cheese
Difficulty: 2 - Medium
Make Ahead: No
Prep Method: Stovetop