Red Beans and Rice
#206 Comment on this recipe.
- 3 T table salt, for soaking
- 1 lb small red beans (about 2 c), rinsed and picked over
- 4 slices bacon (about 4 oz), chopped fine
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine (about 1 c)
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped fine (about 1/2 c)
- 1 celery rib, chopped fine (about 1/2 c)
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 1T)
- 1 t fresh thyme leaves
- 1 t paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- ground black pepper
- 3 c chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 6 c water
- 8 oz andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and cut int 1/4 inch slices (optional)
- 1 t red wine vinegar, plus extra for seasoning
- steamed white rice for serving
- 3 green onions, chopped for serving
- hot sauce (optional) for serving
- Dissolve 3 T salt in 4 qts cold water in large bowl or container.
- Add beans and soak at room temperature for at least 8 hours up to 24 hours. Drain and rinse well.
- Heat bacon in large Dutch oven over medum heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and almost fully rendered, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add onion, green pepper, and celery; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, thyme, paprika, bay leaves, cayenne pepper, and 1/4 t black pepper; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in beans, broth, and water; bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and vigorously simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are just soft and liquid begins to thicken, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Stir in sausage (if using) and 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar and cook until liquid is thick and beans are fully tender and creamy, about 30 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt, black pepper, and additional red wine vinegar..
- Serve over rice, sprinkling with green onions and passing hot sauce separetely, if desired.
Serves: 6 to 8
Course: Side Dish,Lunch,Entree
Type of Food: Bean Dish,Rice Dish,
Ethnicity/Origin: Cajun/New Orleans
Key Ingredient: Beans,Rice,Sausage,Bacon,Onions,Bell Peppers
Difficulty: 2 - Medium
Make Ahead: No
Prep Method: Stovetop
Themes/Holidays: Mardi Gras,Juneteenth