Pureed Carrot Soup with Nutmeg
#174 Comment on this recipe.
Soup can be made ahead and refrigerated for 3 days and reheated just before serving.
- 2 T unsalted butter, olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, 3 medium shallots, or 1 medium leek (white and light green parts only), chopped
- 2 T dry sherry or white wine
- 1 1/2 lb (about 8 medium) carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced thin (about 4 c)
- 2 c chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 t salt
- ground white pepper
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 to 1 1/4 c whole milk, divided
- 2 t minced fresh tarragon, mint, chive, or parsley leaves, for garnish
- Heat butter or oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; saute until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add sherry and carrots; cook until sherry evaporates, about 30 seconds.
- Add broth, salt, pepper to taste, and nutmeg to saucepan; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer; cover and cook until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add 1 c milk.
- Carefully puree mixture with an immersion blender, until very smooth.
- If soup is too thick, stir in additonal 1/4 c milk to thin consistency.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls. Garnish with minced herbs and serve immediately.
Serves: 4 to 6
Type of Food: Soup,Vegetarian
Key Ingredient: Carrots,Onions,Parsley,Sherry,Wine
Difficulty: 2 - Medium
Make Ahead: Yes