Shitake Mushroom and Spinach Broth
#169 Comment on this recipe.
- 7 or 8 dried shitake mushrooms or other dried mushrooms
- 58 oz canned chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 T minced dried onion
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 1/2 t fresh basil snipped or 1/2 t dried basil, crushed
- 1/8 t garlic powder
- 1 1/2 c torn baby spinach leaves
- Soak dried mushrooms in a small bowl in enough hot water to cover for 30 minutes. Remove mushrooms and rinse well and squeeze to drain thoroughly. Reserve mushroom liquid. Thinly slice mushrooms, discarding stems.
- Pour mushroom liquid through a strainer lined with a wet paper towel. Reserve mushroom liquid.
- Combine mushrooms, mushroom liquid, broth, carrot, dried onion, lemon juice, basil, and garlic powder in a large saucepan.
- Bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes or till carrot is almost tender,stirring occasionally.
- Stir in spinach.
- Simmer, covered, about 2 minutes more or till spinach wilts.
Serves: 8 servings
Type of Food: Soup
Key Ingredient: Mushrooms,Carrots,Lemons,Basil,Spinach
Difficulty: 2 - Medium
Make Ahead: Yes
Prep Method: Stovetop