Mushroom and Barley Soup
#161 Comment on this recipe.
- 2 t dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 T butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery with leaves, diced
- 1/4 c parsley, divided
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb fresh porcini or other mushrooms
- 1 T flour
- 2 qts beef broth, or half beef and half chicken broth
- 1 c whole barley
- 2 t salt
- Soak the dried porcini mushrooms in enough hot water to cover, for 30 minutes. Remove the mushrooms, and strain the water through a strainer, lined with a wet paper towel. Reserve the mushroom water.
- Coarsley chop the dried mushrooms.
- Melt the butter in a stock pot and saute the onion, celery, 2 T parsley, carrot, garlic and fresh mushrooms until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat and add the flour, stirring every 30 seconds for about 5 minutes or until thick.
- Add 1 cup of broth to the mushroom mixture, stirring well to incorporate. Add the remaining broth.
- Turn the heat to high, and add the reserved mushroom water and barley.
- Stir well and add salt to taste.
- Simmer, covered, for about an hour or until the barley is tender and the soup in thickened, stirring often.
- Before serving, add remaining parsley and adjust seasonings.
Type of Food: Soup
Key Ingredient: Mushrooms,Barley
Difficulty: 2 - Medium
Make Ahead: Yes
Prep Method: Stovetop,