Chicken Tortilla Soup - Max & Erma's
#176 Comment on this recipe.
This recipe makes a very large quantitiy, consider making half for a smaller crowd.
For cooking the chicken, it can be poached in boiling water or cut into medium sized pieces and microwaved for a few minutes, turned and rotated and then microwaved a few more minutes until cooked through. Chicken should then be shredded in a food processor.
- 2 (10.5 oz) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (10.5 oz) cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 (10.5 oz) cans cream of celery soup
- 2 (10.5 oz) cans Cheddar cheese soup
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 c medium picante salsa
- 1 (4.5 oz) can green chiles
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t red chile powder, more or less to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, shredded in food processor, or rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 lb longhorn style Colby cheese, shredded, for garnish
- tortilla strips, for garnish
- In large stock pot combine and whisk together until smooth mushroom soup, chicken soup, celery soup, and Cheddar soup.
- Add chicken broth.
- Add tomatoes, salsa, green chiles, onion, garlic, chili powder, and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a full boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Add cilantro and shredded chicken breast. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with cheese and tortilla strips
Picture of Recipe
Cook Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
Type of Food: Soup
Difficulty: 2 - Medium
Make Ahead: Yes
Prep Method: Stovetop,Food Processor
Themes/Holidays: Cinco de Mayo,Large Party